Stuck in a rut? Still tired despite the daily multi-vitamin concoction? Need that added oomph to get through the day? Sadly, that is how I have been feeling too. Then it hit me. Is it really necessary to allow a tiny problem to balloon into a major one? Okay, several miniatures into major balloons? Who needs that depressive blanket. Not me. Not you.
Ramit Sethi, New York Times bestselling author and founder of iwillteachyoutoberich.com says that “Over 1,000,000 people read my material to learn how to use psychology and systems to live a Rich Life. That could mean automating your finances, making more money, finding your Dream Job, starting an online business or mastering your inner psychology.”
His straightforward, straight talking email about being stuck in rut struck a chord in me. Successfully turning those frowns into smiles IS really quite simple. It is us. WE have the power to change our outlook, our destiny even. Simply put; adjust the mindset and reap the benefits. This is the plan. It could be your mantra too.
- First things first, No Excuses. No matter what lies ahead.
- Adopt the Kaizen approach, a Japanese principle of Continual Improvement, also an internationally accepted standard meaning taking persistent small steps that will eventually rake up to a mountain of difference.
- A plan is simply that. A plan. Those dreams you had, don’t discount them. To quote William Ward, “If you can imagine it, you can achieve it. If you can dream it, you can become it.” Do not let anyone steal those dreams. Very often, we are discouraged from accomplishing our dreams by naysayers. Impossible, they say. Possible is what you say! Take those dreams and formulate a plan. Embrace your vision, make it happen silently without anyone’s knowledge if you have to. Don’t tell anyone. Sadly, it is true; people ruin good things. Obviously the support would have been marvelous but do not count on it.
- Allow no room for Self Doubt. Do not second guess yourself. We are all human, we all do this sometimes, we doubt ourselves. Do not let this doubt become a record on replay.
- A word of caution, do not, do not compare yourself to others. You are unique and your path will be too.
- Have an idea? Do not discount it, carry a little book and pen with you always. Write it down. Memorise the keywords, make an acronym, let it be your secret. My personal favourite is FEAR, Forget Everything And Rise. Susan Jeffers, my favourite authoress, has taught me to Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway.
- Sometimes it is easy to pin the blame on someone else or circumstances that defined your character and lifestyle. You need not be that final product. To progress, change is necessary. Re-define yourself. Re-create yourself. Most importantly, have fun doing it knowing intrinsically that you have not become a puppet. You are your own master. This IS all about you.
- Join likeminded successful people where the vibes are positive and progressive. It is true what they say, “hang out with chickens and you cluck, hang out with eagles and you soar.”
- What you get is what you give. The Law of Cause and Effect, a universal law that is converted into a success principle. Too laid back, that is where you will be, always laid back. Doing the same thing daily and expecting miraculous change is wasted effort. A re-generation of positive thoughts is the way forward.
- Look within. Find your existing inner chi, harness that energy and unleash it with enthusiasm and gusto. Resolve to succeed. Give negative insidious energy the boot.
- Look to God. The good book is exactly that, the Good Book for divine inspiration. In sickness and in health, good or bad, for comfort and reassurance, with God in your heart and mind, those hurdles will be changed into mere hiccups. Attend religious events, the social network and support structure of a praying community is a great bonus.
- Forget your weakness. Focus on your strength. Bill Gates is dyslexic, yet his successes are many and far-reaching.
- Sure there will be bends and curves in the road ahead, it is expected. It is HOW you react to it, use the only curve that matters, your SMILE while you channel your thoughts into positivity to bridge the challenges.
- Adopt my other two favourite acronyms. HOPE, having only positive expectations. FAITH, Full Assurance in the Heart. These two keywords go hand in hand and will be constant references in the journey ahead.
- Every day can be a holiday! Enrichen your mindset by investing in yourself by studying further to help you find the job that you want. Getting and loving that job will not make that job feel like a tedious chore for a salary. Every day CAN become a holiday.
- Remember Dory of Nemo fame? “Just Keep Swimming, Just Keep Swimming”. She used the stonecutter’s secret, a method called KOKO which means “Keep On, Keeping On”, and “Keep On, Keeping On. No harm in emulating Dory.
- Giving up is not allowed.
- Fake it till you make it. Some days may feel like the waste of make up, a wasted effort. Dress up. Show up. Smile. Fake it. Before long, you will be enjoying yourself and new experiences. Who knows who YOU may be influencing?!
- Battling to see the end result? Use your imagination. Envision the eventual outcome, it will provide motivation for success.
- Once success is achieved, do not rest on your laurels. Transcend those goals, create more and transcend that too. Smash those glass ceilings.
- Remember that the day you stop dreaming, is the day you die.
- Once there, a diamond rule to remember,: “Do unto others as others would like to be done unto them”. Treat others as you expect to be treated, remember to be kind. Simple things but marked characteristics of true valued character.
- Never forget the attitude of gratitude! It raises your altitude, cultivate it. Gratitude also helps you realise that you are on a deeper spiritual level.
- Remember the possibilities ahead, most of the best days of our lives have not been lived yet. Imagine that.
- The best for last from Abraham Lincoln, “Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other.” Do this for yourself. It is all about you.
Success IS easy to achieve, it IS well within our grasp. A dream channelled into perspective, harvested with passion, discipline and planning will yield success. Good luck with yours!